Sunday, November 30, 2008

An Ode to the Earth – My Home

I forget what it is to feel the first rays of the sun,
I live under the glare of artificial lights.

I forget what it’s like to feel the rain on my face,
I am too busy trying to avoid the next pothole.

I forget what it is to feel the earth beneath my feet,
I see only paved concrete wherever I go.

I forget how blue the sky can sometimes be,
I can’t see past the skyscrapers any more.

My flat is in the heart of the city,
My heart is still searching for my home.

I ache to be free from within, I ache to belong.
I want to feel in my soul, the bliss of being in my own home.

I lose you everyday in a thousand different ways.
And I can’t take it any more.

I will fight to keep you healthy, not for a coming generation or for a cause.
But because, you are me and I can’t let you go like this.

By A Geeta

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Taking the mantle on 'myself' is the only solution. When I say that 'we' should motivate ourselves to protect earth, we deliberately become passive. The thoughts are rightly put across Geeta. Appreciate that!