Sunday, November 23, 2008

Music to my ears

Some days back we had a small discussion on whether music distracts an employee while working.

Well, just thought of sharing a few thoughts on that.

I am one of those who are mild users (and I mean it in the true sense of the word) of music at work. The kind of music I listen to matters a lot too.

Having a research-oriented profile it’s important for me to concentrate and read between the lines. In case the music has nice lyrics and it’s one of my favorites, it will be difficult to focus on the task at hand. However, if it’s instrumental or heavy metal (No offence meant to Iron Maiden/Fans) there is no distraction. On the contrary it proves beneficial in keeping away all outside noise and allows me to focus on the project.

A nice gazal or a country number from John Denver (my personal fav…) will definitely go a long way in aiding your work. It helps you relax and soothes your already agitated nerves (Well ROD does that to you at times—wish I could be invisible at this point ;-) )

We generally have long days at work, which translates into a lot of yawns and sluggishness which reflects in our work. Well, besides a nice cup of coffee, peppy Punjabi beats or a Mambo No. 5 can lift your moods and WAKE YOU UP (Does this seem like an online diary already ;-) ?).

BY the way it’s scientifically proven that listening to music can reduce chronic pain and depression by up to a quarter (Source: Science Daily).

Well, enough said already, I guess it’s time to buy that attractive ear phone and shell some money for the iPod (even look alikes should do).

So at the cost of borrowing from a perky number … Get Jiggy with it people.

By Varun Kumar

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post!

Well.. to each its own. I, for one, can't do without music. HAVE to listen to it all the time, even while working. And listening to tubthumping music just makes me work faster. But the one thing I need to make sure when I'm listening to stuff like Iron Maiden, is that I don't start headbanging ;)

Andrina said...

good one varun.but i feel if u r required to finish ur task ASAP then i guess nothin will help u to get out of the stress at that moment.

Andrina said...

good one varun.but i feel if u r required to finish ur task ASAP then i guess nothin will help u to get out of the stress at that moment.

Andrina said...

good one varun.but i feel if u r required to finish ur task ASAP then i guess nothin will help u to get out of the stress at that moment.

varun said...

I get your point ANdrina...
;-)

Anonymous said...

Well... for a guy who has passed the iron maiden and metallica stage and moved onto more extreme genres like metalcore and melodic death metal it does provide some distraction cause the music is awesome and you concentrate more on that rather than work. Then you know that the time has come out down your headphones for a while.